Thursday, August 25, 2016

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Summary from Amazon:

     A controversial tale of friendship and tragedy set during the Great Depression.   Over seventy-five years since its first publication, Steinbeck’s tale of commitment, loneliness, hope, and loss remains one of America’s most widely read and taught novels.

     An unlikely pair, George and Lennie, two migrant workers in California during the Great Depression, grasp for their American Dream. They hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own. When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him.

My Thoughts:


     See? I told you I would get to it and get back on track with my 2016 Reading Challenge! How could you doubt me? J

     Oy, this book, let me start by saying that it is very well written.  The scenes are so very well worded that I could feel myself right there with Lennie and George.  I could feel the heat, dirt and despair of the era and their situation.  George and Lennie have dreams but the feel of this story is so dark that you just know right from the beginning that they are unlikely to come to fruition. 

*Bit of a spoiler coming…*
 
 

     With that said, this story is very depressing and dark that I was very glad that it is not a very long book.  I know that might be a horrible thing to say but I don’t do well with books that are just completely dark and end with no real decently happy resolution.  I like a nice clean wrap up for at least most of the story, maybe not so much a happy ending but justice at least and Mr. Steinbeck does not give you this.  Not to say that this story doesn’t have its merits as there are several social lessons to be learned here but at the expense of being haunted by its darkness.

3/5 stars

P.S. For The Walking Dead fans there is a totally inappropriate but funny “Look at the flowers” moment! Pretty sure this means I have a dark and twisted soul….


No comments:

Post a Comment