Thursday, May 5, 2016

No One Knows by J.T. Ellison

Summary from Amazon:

     The day Aubrey Hamilton’s husband is declared dead by the state of Tennessee should bring closure so she can move on with her life. But Aubrey doesn’t want to move on; she wants Josh back. It’s been five years since he disappeared, since their blissfully happy marriage—they were happy, weren’t they?—screeched to a halt and Aubrey became the prime suspect in his disappearance. Five years of emptiness, solitude, loneliness, questions. Why didn’t Josh show up at his friend’s bachelor party? Was he murdered? Did he run away? And now, all this time later, who is the mysterious yet strangely familiar figure suddenly haunting her new life?

My Thoughts:

     I don’t even know where to start with this one and I am torn on my exact feelings for this story as well.  My feelings towards the main character, Aubrey, changed many times during the unfolding of this tale and even now that I am finished….still not sure what to think.
     We first meet Aubrey five years after her husband, Josh’s disappearance when he has just been declared dead.  I feel badly for her at this point because her mother-in-law, who never really liked her, told her about the declaration is a very rude and unfeeling way and is now trying to protest the life insurance policy pay out. 
     As the story progresses we jump back and forth between Aubrey’s childhood, the beginnings of her relationship with Josh, and with what happened five years ago on the day he disappeared-from both of their perspectives.  The author did a very good job of separating all of this and I was never once confused by the time jumps.  That being said and without giving out any spoilers, my feelings for Aubrey began to change about halfway through because she wasn’t as distraught or as innocent as I originally thought.  No one is as they seem except maybe the nasty mother-in-law.
   I finished the book about 24 hours ago and I am still ruminating on it and trying to figure out my feelings! It definitely got me thinking but I feel like the ending was rather confusing and I am not one hundred percent sure that I understand what happened.  I might have to go back a reread the last chapter just to make sure I didn’t miss something.  I like a nice tidy ending so this is messing with my head a bit!
3.5/5 stars


     This was the first book I received from my Book of the Month subscription and it was promised to be quite the thriller! It was said to be in a similar vein of The Girl on the Train and now having read it, I can see where that comparison comes from.
  
  Authors links:

2 comments:

  1. If it's messing with your head, it would definitely do my head right in I'm sure. Sounds like an interesting read tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting....and I'm still trying to figure out if I understood the ending right or not!?!?!

    ReplyDelete