Thursday, April 7, 2016

Runaway Love by Pamela Washington



Summary from Amazon:


Love...
I’m damned if I do, damned if I don't.
How did I get myself into this complicated situation? I just wanted to be loved, to matter to someone, to feel like I’m worth something, to belong…
I grew up in foster care, never knowing where I came from or where I was headed. I met my first love, the love of my life, in a group home. Scott and I only had each other; he was my everything! He left with a promise to return, but he broke his promise and my heart. Scott shattered my soul and nearly destroyed me.
I wanted to die, but I was saved by a man who loves me, protects me, takes care of me, and worships me. Tony will do anything for me and accepts me just the way I am. I married him, but I can’t give him my heart; I can’t love him as much as he loves me… We have a son who I adore, and although my life may appear to be perfect, it’s not enough to make me completely happy.
I still yearn for my first love. When Scott returns, I’m faced with a decision… Do I choose what's right or what seems right, but is wrong? Do I choose safe love or runaway love? Someone will be hurt when my past meets my present…
This is my story, my life… Can I handle it? 



My Thoughts:

     Who would you choose? The guy that was your first and only true love but whom abandoned you and was never there for you. Or the guy whom you care deeply for but aren’t in love with but who loves you unconditionally and is always there for you no matter what.
     This is a great premise for a book and one that I had never heard or read before which is why I was excited to get a chance to read and review it.  When you have never been shown love do you know how to love yourself and others? The main character has never really had a loving relationship with anyone until she meets Scott in her teens and I think she becomes almost obsessed and understandably so.  Can Grace learn to love and have a healthy relationship?
     I wish that we had gotten to know a little more about Grace before all the drama.  A bit more backstory of her life in the foster home instead of just brief flashbacks so that we had would have given us more insight into her state of mind. The plotline for this story is a new one to me and sounded very interesting but I had a hard time connecting with Grace but we never got much of a chance to really get inside her head/feelings.
     Past problems suddenly popping up half way through just out of the blue make it hard to keep up and we never got a chance to get to know Scott story either.  There is a second book which gives his side of the story but I could have used a little more of it here.
     I don’t want to tell you what happens and spoil it for you but I am happy with the way the book ended.  I think Grace has some serious issues to work out and I didn’t agree with most of the things she did but I think she made the right decision for herself. 
2.5/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment