Monday, January 8, 2018

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

 

Summary:


     If you were told the date of your death, how would it shape your present?
     It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.
     Their prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11, hoping to control fate; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.



My Thoughts:


     I loved the idea behind this book and it is what drew me to want to review it.  What would you do with your life if you knew the exact day you would die? If you knew exactly how much time you had to live?  Also, that cover? It's gorgeous!
     This story revolves around the four Gold children and how each of them lived their lives after finding out exactly how long they had to do so.  I don't want to go into any details and spoil any of their stories but I will say they are varied and troubled, each in a different way.
     I cannot say that I particularly liked any of the characters as they were all rather selfish and self absorbed.  Simon was especially but his story is the one that touched me the most and the only one I could truly forgive for his selfishness.  All of the stories are touching in their own way and each gives you a different perspective on life and teaches you something.  This is the exact reason I read this book. 
     I will say that the last story did drag a bit and felt less emotional and cold to me but I think that that was Ms. Benjamin's point.  While this may not be my favorite book ever, I think the story and lessons inside the story are important and I would recommend The Immortalists if this premise intrigues you at all.  4/5 stars*

*small warning: there is one small section of a chapter with      
   very naughty bits-I was a bit taken by surprised so I thought I would 
   let everyone know!

Author's site: https://www.chloebenjaminbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment