Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Undertaker's Daughter by Sara Blaedel


Summary:


Already widowed by the age of forty, Ilka Nichols Jensen, a school portrait photographer, leads a modest, regimented, and uneventful life in Copenhagen. Until unexpected news rocks her quiet existence: Her father–who walked out suddenly and inexplicably on the family more than three decades ago–has died. And he’s left her something in his will: his funeral home. In Racine, Wisconsin.

Clinging to this last shred of communication from the father she hasn’t heard from since childhood, Ilka makes an uncharacteristically rash decision and jumps on a plane to Wisconsin. Desperate for a connection to the parent she never really knew, she plans to visit the funeral home and go through her father’s things–hoping for some insight into his new life in America–before preparing the business for a quick sale.

But when she stumbles on an unsolved murder, and a killer who seems to still be very much alive, the undertaker’s daughter realizes she might be in over her head . .
 






My Thoughts:


     I never used to be one to abandon books.  I would always finish a book I was reading no matter how much I did not care for the story or characters.  Apparently, I have learned my lesson because this is my second DNF (Did Not Finish) this year.  I made myself read to about the halfway point just to make sure but, this one is definitely not for me.  There are too many books sitting around my house that I just don't want to waste my time anymore on something I am not enjoying.
     This book is billed as the first in a mystery/thriller series but almost everything is dealing with Ilka and her personal issues.  This is fine but not exactly what I signed up for and I really didn't find any of the characters likable.  The conversations were stilted and slightly unbelievable so it was just rather hard to get invested in any aspect of the story. 

On to the next...

Do you have to finish a book or is it easy for you to put something down?  Comment and let me know!
     


No comments:

Post a Comment