Thursday, September 21, 2017

At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider


Summary:


     In her late thirties and as a mom to three kids under age ten, Tsh Oxenreider and her husband decided to spend a rather ordinary nine months in an extraordinary way: traveling the corners of the earth to see, together, the places they’ve always wanted to explore. This book chronicles their global journey from China to Thailand to Australia, Sri Lanka, Uganda, France, Croatia, and beyond, as they fill their days with train schedules, world-schooling the kids, and working from anywhere. Told with wit and candor, Oxenreider invites us on a worldwide adventure without the cost of a ticket; to discover people, places, and stories worth knowing about; to find peace in the places we call home; and to learn that, as the Thai say, in the end, we are all “same same but different.”
 

My Thoughts:


     Earlier in the summer I took Modern Mrs. Darcy’s “What’s your reading personality?” quiz (http://modernmrsdarcy.com/quiz). Turns out I am an Explorer-whodathunkit? I thought for sure I would be an Escapist so I was pleasantly surprised.  Early this year read All Over the Place by Geraldine DeRuiter (link) and loved it so it looks like Anne Bogel was right again! From the list of recommendations for Explorers, I had read two of the five books. Of the three I hadn’t read, At Home was the one that intrigued me the most.
      I am a totally homebody but have always wanted to travel. I have a list of places I want to go and things I want to see, mostly in the UK because I am an Anglophile. Unfortunately, I have never left the United States, I have no passport, and I have only been on airplane once. There is nothing wrong with this but I do hope to one day remedy all of those things! Tsh takes her family of five on a nine month trip around the world and many people thought she was crazy to do this with small children.  It is a daunting and scary thought but I cannot imagine how amazing the education it would be for kids and adults alike.
         At Home gives me Eat, Pray, Love vibes (another loved book-how did I not realize?) in that it is a See the World journey but also a bit of a find yourself/Spiritual journey for Tsh and I think we all need this. Finding home and finding our place in the world are, to me, the same thing and I love how Tsh found that balance between experiencing everything the world has to offer but still knowing she must have a place to lay her head.  There are many funny moments that made me chuckle but there were also a lot of thoughtful and even teary-eyed moments that I completely related to as a wife, mother, and woman.  I highly recommend you take the MMD reading personality quiz and if you’re an Explorer like me start with At Home in the World and if you are not and Explorer? I say read it anyway, it is that good! 4/5 stars

 

Favorite Quotes:

"I wasn't looking for him, but when you find that special someone swimming with Albanian teenage boys in a lake potentially swirling with all strains of hepatitis and you're still attracted to him, you don't walk away."
"Hard doesn't mean wrong. You're on the right path."
"Never put things down your gullet that could slash it in final vengeance on the way down..."
 
 

Author’s sites:

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment