Thursday, July 6, 2017

Persons Unknown by Susie Steiner


Summary:


     Manon has settled back into life in Cambridgeshire with her adopted son Fly. She’s perfectly happy working on cold cases until a man is stabbed to death just yards from the police station, and both the victim and the prime suspect turn out to be much closer to home than she would like. How well does Manon know her loved ones, and are they capable of murder? 


My Thoughts:

     I greatly enjoyed the character of Manon from Steiner's first book, Missing Presumed.  I relate to her probably because we are both anti-social and have trouble letting people into our innermost lives.  She is still introverted in this second installment but is opening herself up more.  I also enjoyed that we got more of Davy's perspective but wish there was more from Fly in this one.  
     Susie Steiner's writing style is great and the dialogue between the colleagues is very believable to me. A lot of books with so many characters tend to get confusing but I have never had this problem with either of her stories that I have read.
     I am hoping that Manon may be making a family for herself but like her, I'm worried.  Will she screw it up since she doesn’t know what to do with it?  To me the mystery is almost secondary because I am so interested in the growth and changes in Manon as she navigates life and learns to "adult".  

     My only complaint is that in a way it feels like there was no resolution.  You think you know “who dunit” but it is never exactly said…unless I missed something.  I feel the ending was a bit ambiguous and I don’t like that but maybe it will continue on into the next book???????   I enjoyed this one a little less than the first but will definitely continue reading this series! 3.5/5 stars 




Favorite quotes:



"No one told her that becoming someone's mother would lead her to imagine the catastrophic end to her motherhood."-Chapter Eleven

"Marching out of Arlidge House, he feels so macho there even seems to be a stirring in his trousers. Then he realizes it's his mobile phone vibrating."-Chapter Seventeen



Author's site: http://www.susiesteiner.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment