Monday, April 10, 2017

The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda


Summary from Good Reads:


     Confronted by a restraining order and the threat of a lawsuit, failed journalist Leah Stevens needs to get out of Boston when she runs into an old friend, Emmy Grey, who has just left a troubled relationship. Emmy proposes they move to rural Pennsylvania, where Leah can get a teaching position and both women can start again. But their new start is threatened when a woman with an eerie resemblance to Leah is assaulted by the lake, and Emmy disappears days later.

     Determined to find Emmy, Leah cooperates with Kyle Donovan, a handsome young police officer on the case. As they investigate her friend’s life for clues, Leah begins to wonder: did she ever really know Emmy at all? With no friends, family, or a digital footprint, the police begin to suspect that there is no Emmy Grey. Soon Leah’s credibility is at stake, and she is forced to revisit her past: the article that ruined her career. To save herself, Leah must uncover the truth about Emmy Grey—and along the way, confront her old demons, find out who she can really trust, and clear her own name.

     Everyone in this rural Pennsylvanian town has something to hide—including Leah herself. How do you uncover the truth when you are busy hiding your own?

Release date: April 11, 2017


My Thoughts:

     This was a great thriller! With every turn of the page you will come up with a new idea of what’s going on but you will be wrong…again.  Leah is a great but unreliable main character with plenty of flaws of her own to keep you wondering.  Emmy is the perfect is-she-or-isn’t-she-the-villain that you suspect but then don’t. There are a few subplots and secondary characters that all support the mysteries involved in the book but to me the flow of the book was a bit off.
     There are a lot of twists and turns and at times, I was confused.  All of Leah’s inner dialogue and self-analyzing about her ultimate search for truth got to be a little tedious at times. This is especially true when it was purposely vague…this happened a lot and was a little annoying. I really enjoyed the story but felt that all the storylines were not pulled together in a very cohesive way and that the ending was anticlimactic.  3.5/5 stars

Author’s site:

http://www.meganmiranda.com/

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I waited to answer comments until I had written my review as I reviewed this one just now. I totally agree, this started out so strong and I was riveted but then the end was a mess. I didn't like the wordiness at the end, the way story lines didn't fit and I never liked Leah. My rating was also 3.5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ending was a muddled mess! I skimmed A LOT of the last bits as it seemed like it was just kind of thrown onto the end to wrap it up and get it over with...ugh, I hate that.

      Delete