Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline


Summary from Amazon:

     To Christina Olson, the entire world was her family’s remote farm in the small coastal town of Cushing, Maine.  Born in the home her family had lived in for generations, and increasingly incapacitated by illness, Christina seemed destined for a small life.  Instead, for more than twenty years, she was host and inspiration for the artist Andrew Wyeth, and became the subject of one of the best known American paintings of the twentieth century.


My Thoughts:

    A Piece of the World was my MMD’s March book club pick. Again, this was not a book I probably would have read on my own which is exactly why I joined the book club-expanding horizons! J
     I had never heard of Andrew Wyeth nor had I ever seen this painting before reading this book but I really like Mr. Wyeth’s works.  The styles of his paintings tend to be a little bleak when you first look at them but they are beautiful. Christina, her brother, and their family farm became the main muse of many of Andrew Wyeth's works. 
     Like the paintings, the story of Christina Olson is also bleak but beautifully told by Ms. Kline.  I don’t know what it was about the story of the Olson family but I was very pulled in and interested in what was to become of Christina.  This was a quiet read that while sad and emotional it was also very compelling.   3/5 stars



Author’s site:  http://christinabakerkline.com/
Artist’s site: http://andrewwyeth.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment