Monday, December 5, 2016

After We Fall by Melanie Harlow


 
 
 

Summary from Amazon:


Jack Valentini isn’t my type.

Sexy, brooding cowboys are fine in the movies, but in real life, I prefer a suit and tie. Proper manners. A close shave.

Jack might be gorgeous, but he’s also scruffy, rugged, and rude. He wants nothing to do with a “rich city girl” like me, and he isn’t afraid to say so.

But I’ve got a PR job to do for his family’s farm, so he’s stuck with me and I’m stuck with him. His glares. His moods. Pretty soon there’s a whole different kind of tension between us, the kind that has me misbehaving in barns, trees, and pickup trucks. I’ve never done anything so out of character—but it feels too good to stop.

And the more I learn about the grieving ex-Army sergeant, the better I understand him. Losing his wife left him broken and bitter and blaming himself. He doesn’t think he deserves a second chance at happiness.

But he’s wrong.

I don’t need to be his first love. If only he’d let me be his last.

 


My Thoughts:

     Jack Valentini is a former soldier who joined the Army after 9/11 and has seen and done things he will never forget.  After coming home, he is looking for quiet and time with his family on their farm instead he only finds more heartache.  Soon after coming home Jack loses not only his father but also the love of his life. The only way he knows how to cope is to hide in the woods in his cabin and to work the family farm and to suffer in silence to pay what he feels is his penance.

     Margot Lewiston is old money, proper manners and a city girl through and through but the one things she isn’t is happy.  She is tired of only doing what generations of women in her family have done; she wants to make a difference in the world!  Helping the Valentini Family Farm seems like a good start and a great learning experience for her but Jack, who runs the farm, is not happy to have her there and isn’t cooperative.

     Melanie Harlow has such a great talent for writing characters that I love! Even though I usually have nothing in common with her characters I always seem to connect with them and can care for them within the first chapter of her books.  This, to me, is what makes an author amazing!

     Jack and Margot are flawed, funny, and strong characters that you are rooting for from the very beginning.  Jack and his struggles brought me to tears a few times and frustrated me.  Margot was strong and fought for what she wanted until she had to stop to save herself-great message. 

     I also love the Ms. Harlow always gives me the full resolution that I am looking for and while it’s not always a fairy tale ending there is happiness and a future for the characters that is believable.

     I always look forward to Melanie’s books and the only complaint I can find is that I don’t think this is the beginning to a new series and I want more from this family! J

No comments:

Post a Comment