Monday, September 5, 2016

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Amazon:
     In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

     In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the “perk” and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

     Brady Hartsfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with two new, unusual allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

 
 
My Thoughts:
     It has been 20+ years since I have read any Stephen King (yep, I’m that old) and I didn’t think that I would ever go back to reading his stuff as horror is not my thing. Then I heard about Mr. Mercedes’ trilogy.  Yes, the first book came out over two years ago but at least now the whole trilogy is out and I don’t have to wait!
     I am not much for gore or horror, in books or movies, but this is more thriller/mystery with a bit of police procedural thrown in.  I definitely enjoy those types of books and Mr. M did not disappoint.  I really enjoy all of the characters; Hodges, Jerome, Holly.  They all have such great personalities and depth-flaws and a sense of humor make some of the horrible and stressful situations bearable.
      Even Mr. Mercedes himself, who is completely unlikeable and a totally horrible person has moments of humor but OY, is her repulsive.  Frighteningly, you can see how Mr. King pulls from real life and really gets into the head of such sociopathic people.
     I really enjoyed the story, characters but was still slightly horrified (but not grossed out) by the mind of the criminal and his actions. I think this is exactly what Mr. King wants!  Mr. King, you are a sick and twisted man-I like you! J

2 comments:

  1. Hey Steph, I didn't mind this one either. My husband has all three so will get to book two eventually. I loved the detective, thought he was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have book two waiting in my pile for Eventually. I really liked Hodges too!

      Delete