Thursday, February 23, 2017

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll


Summary from Amazon:


HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE.

As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancĂ©, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.

But Ani has a secret.

There’s something else buried in her past that still haunts her, something private and painful that threatens to bubble to the surface and destroy everything.

With a singular voice and twists you won’t see coming, Luckiest Girl Alive explores the unbearable pressure that so many women feel to “have it all” and introduces a heroine whose sharp edges and cutthroat ambition have been protecting a scandalous truth, and a heart that's bigger than it first appears.

The question remains: will breaking her silence destroy all that she has worked for—or, will it at long last, set Ani free?

My Thoughts:

     This was my February book club challenge selection.  For the MMD Reading for Fun Challenge this month we were to pick a book with a reputation for being un-put-downable AND this book was in my rather large To-Be-Read Pile so…seemed like a good idea to not only knock one off the pile and also check off my monthly challenge book!

     Unfortunately, there were several times during this book that I very much wanted to put it down and abandon it completely but I didn’t.  Luckiest Girl Alive was touted as Ani, the narrator, having this big secret so I kept reading and waiting for it…she had one but it wasn’t worth waiting for.  This book, to me, had no real point to it and the “secret” wasn’t really a secret. 

     Ani has every right to be the messed up and dark person she is but she was completely unlikable to me and even though I wanted to root for her once I found out what happened to her, I just couldn’t. She does have a turning point in the book but it felt rushed and therefore, had little meaning and left me feeling cheated.  I don’t know why this book was deemed un-put-downable but I have to say that I totally disagree. 

     I hate to post a totally negative review but since this is part of my reading challenge and I am trying to hold myself accountable for actually finishing it this year….

2/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment